Setting off from Riederalp Mitte, you head eastwards along the Aletsch Promenade. When you reach Hotel Walliser Spycher, turn off onto the winter hiking trail towards Oberried. At first the trail crosses open terrain at the lower end of the sunny plateau in a westerly direction, before plunging into the magical, snowy Riederwald. Enjoy the leisurely walk through the forest down to Oberried. Once there, follow the road past the hamlets of Wyde, Matte and Summerseili, and on down to Ried-Mörel, where you can catch the cable car back up to Riederalp or down to Mörel.
- 8,86 km
- 2 hours 30 minutes
- 717 m
- start: Riederalp, top station of aerial cable car
- destination: Ried-Mörel
Good to know
Riederalp, top station of aerial cable car
Riederalp - Oberried - Ried-Mörel
- Plan each mountain tour carefully and adapt it to your own conditions, the weather and the season.
- The weather in the mountains can change quickly, so make sure you have suitable clothing and sufficient food and water with you. If the weather is unsafe, don’t wait too long to turn back.
- Let someone else know that you are doing the tour and if possible never go alone.
- Do not leave marked trails and do not go onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Walking on the ski slopes is prohibited.
- Be considerate of other hikers, plants and animals.
- Always find out about the local avalanche situation
The altitude and the route mean that good footwear is absolutely essential for this winter hike.
- Winter boots or hiking/trekking boots with a good grip
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
The hamlet of Oberried in Valais affords you a magnificent vista of the Rhone Valley. Take time to drink in this fantastic view!
Take Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Mörel-Filet exit, then follow signs for the parking facilities. Proceed on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG), which takes you up to Riederalp.
- Limited parking spaces (charges apply) at Mörel-Filet station. Further parking options are signposted.
- Large pay multi-storey car parks at the entrance to Mörel-Filet and in the village centre.
By train from Brig or Oberwald to Mörel-Filet, then on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG). Take the cable car up to Riederalp.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.