From Blatten, walk via Rischinu Forest to the Gebidem bridge. On the other side, take the path leading out of the valley via Gragg in the direction of the Massa Gorge. Follow the Massa Trail, which is carved into the rock and takes you along the Bisse de Riederi. The themed trail provides an impressive overview of the old irrigation systems created by the people of Valais. The well-restored bisse and information panels afford insights into the history, construction and maintenance of the bisse channel systems as well as the associated customs and myths. High above the Massa Gorge, breathtaking views of the Rhone Valley and the Valais Alps open up in many places. Please note: the trail runs in part at great heights, over narrow bridges and exposed spots. Sure-footedness and a head for heights are a must! It can get slippery when wet! Passing Rieschwald and Roti Flue, you eventually come to Ried-Mörel. From there you take the cable car down to Mörel or up to Riederalp.
Themed trail from Blatten to Ried-Mörel on the Massaweg trail
- 8,29 km
- 3 hours
- 126 m
- 1453 m
- 1190 m
- start: Blatten, railway station
- destination: Ried-Mörel, Bahnstation
- Street (12%)
- Asphalt Coating (1%)
- Hiking Trail (48%)
- Path (40%)
Good to know
- Stop at an Inn
Blatten, railway station
Blatten – Rischinerwald - Gragg – Summerseili – Ried-Mörel
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
The Rischinu Forest has a particularly mystical atmosphere. Take the time to let it work its magic on you.
Take Cantonal Road 19 to the Brig exit, then follow Blattenstrasse from Naters to the valley station of the Blatten-Belalp cable car in Blatten bei Naters.
Large pay car park at the valley station of the Blatten-Belalp cable car.
From Brig train station until Blatten b. Naters with the bus line 624 (travel time: 15 -20 Min.)
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher