Setting off from Riederalp West mountain station, head east to the Oberried turn-off, just after Golfhotel Riederhof. The trail known as “Alte Schlitt” or “Herrenweg” leads down through the Riederwald forest to Oberried, which lies on a plateau between Riederalp and the village of Ried-Mörel. Here you can pause and take in the beautiful views of Goms, Ried-Brig, Termen and the Simplon area. Then continue down into the valley to the quaint and secluded village of Ried-Mörel. The last leg of the journey takes you to Mörel-Filet, a village famous for its sweet chestnuts. If you prefer, you can take the cable car from Ried-Mörel back up to Riederalp or down to Mörel-Filet.
- 7,79 km
- 4 hours
- 3 m
- 1168 m
- start: Bergstation, Riederalp West
- destination: Bahnhof, Mörel-Filet
Good to know
- Stop at an Inn
Bergstation, Riederalp West
Riederalp West – Nieschbord- Oberried – Ried-Mörel – Mörel-Filet
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
The Restaurant Alpenblick in Ried-Mörel serves Valais specialities. The home-cured sausage is definitely worth tasting!
Von der Kantonsstrasse 19 bei Mörel-Filet ausfahren.
In Mörel-Filet stehen neben dem Hotel Lungwah sowie im Dorfzentrum grosse, gebührenpflichtige Parkhäuser zur Verfügung.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher