The tour begins on Fieschertal village square. From there, follow the asphalt road that leads up the valley towards Unnerbärg until the mountain path to the Stock branches off on the left. The path quickly becomes steeper and leads over a moraine field directly onto a rock face with a small waterfall. From here, the route becomes even more challenging as the path winds its way over rocky ledges up to the Stock. Your efforts will be rewarded with a view of the Fiescher Glacier. Once you’ve made the steep climb over the rock, you continue through alpine meadows uphill to the Märjelenwang. The next stop is the Lake Märjelensee region and the Vordersee reservoir near the Gletscherstube mountain hut. On the way back, you’ll pass through Oberes Tälli (through the 1km-long illuminated Tälligrat tunnel) to Salzgäb, and from there on to Fiescheralp. Take the cable car down to Fiesch and the PostBus back to Fieschertal.
Hike from Fieschertal to Fiescheralp via Unnerbärg and Lake Märjelensee
- 12,77 km
- 5 hours
- 1293 m
- 2369 m
- 1109 m
- start: Fieschertal
- destination: Fiescheralp
- Street (18%)
- Hiking Trail (45%)
- Path (36%)
Good to know
- Stop at an Inn
Fieschertal – Unnerbärg – Stock – Märjelenwang – Märjelensee – Fiescheralp
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
You can enjoy a fantastic view of the Great Aletsch Glacier from the Platta view point! The walk from the Gletscherstube should take around 30 minutes.
Leave Cantonal Road 19 at the Fiesch exit, then follow Fieschertalstrasse to Fieschertal.
There are limited parking spaces (charges apply) at the village square in Fieschertal.
Take the train from Brig or Oberwald to Fiesch, then catch the PostBus to Fieschertal.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher
Aletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58