The first stage of the hike takes you from Fieschertal to Fiesch, with a choice of three different routes: the Gogwärgiweg trail, which is perfect for families; the wheelchair path along the Wysswasser river; and the Bregeraweg trail. Once you arrive in Fiesch, you’ll cross the village, passing some notable buildings along the way: from the hotel du Glacier (which was built in 1847 and is the oldest hotel in Fiesch) you pass the schoolhouse, the Kreyghaus and the Präfektenhaus on your way to the historic centre of Oberegg and its picturesque houses. Take the street that leads to the turn-off to Ernen. Turn left towards Hotel Christania, pass the Milachra development and follow the path which leads under the bypass down to the power station. After crossing the bridge, continue via the old mule track through Ärnerfäld and up to Ernen, which was awarded the Wakker Prize for its exemplary preservation of its village architecture. Take the PostBus from Ernen back to Fiesch or Fieschertal.
- 5,25 km
- 1 hour 45 minutes
- 194 m
- 104 m
- start: Fieschertal, bus stop
- destination: Ernen
Good to know
- Cultural Interesting
- Stop at an Inn
Fieschertal, bus stop
Fieschertal – Fiesch – Ernen
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
A tour of Ernen is a must while you’re there! The picturesque ‘music village’ is well worth a look as the recipient of a Swiss Heritage Society award.
Leave Cantonal Road 19 at the Fiesch exit, then follow Fieschertalstrasse to Fieschertal.
There are limited parking spaces (charges apply) at the village square in Fieschertal.
Take the train from Brig or Oberwald to Fiesch, then catch the PostBus to Fieschertal.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher