The starting point of this tour, which takes you past a number of notable buildings, is the Hotel du Glacier, which was built in 1847 and is the oldest hotel in Fiesch: from here, pass by the schoolhouse, the Kreyghaus and the Präfektenhaus on your way to the historic centre of Oberegg and its picturesque houses. Take the street that leads to the turn-off to Ernen. Turn left towards Hotel Christania, pass the Milachra development and follow the path which leads under the bypass down to the power station. After crossing the bridge, continue via the old mule track through Ärnerfäld and up to Ernen, which was awarded the Wakker Prize for its exemplary preservation of its village architecture. Be sure to plan a tour of the village! Continue via Galgen, Mühlebach and Steinhaus to Niederwald. César Ritz, the founder of the renowned hotel chain, was born in Niederwald and is buried in the village cemetery. There you take the train back to Fiesch.
Hike from Fiesch to Niederwald via Ernen, Mühlebach, and Steinhaus
- 8,58 km
- 2 hours 40 minutes
- 331 m
- 1269 m
- 1007 m
- start: Fiesch, hotel du Glacier
- destination: Niederwald, railway station
- Unknown (10%)
- Street (52%)
- Hiking Trail (38%)
Good to know
Fiesch, hotel du Glacier
Niederwald, railway station
Fiesch – Niederernen – Ärnerfeld – Ernen – Mühlebach – Steinhaus - Niederwald
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
The Ritz hotels are world famous. Their founder, César Ritz, was born in Niederwald, where there is a visitor’s centre in his honour. It’s well worth a visit!
Take Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Fiesch exit, follow Furkastrasse as far as the parking facilities.
Large pay car park at the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
By train from Brig or Oberwald to Fiesch, on foot to the start of the tour.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher
Aletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58