The start of the tour is in Betten Dorf. Follow the hiking trail from the western edge of the village in the Goppisberg direction, which you’ll reach in half an hour or so. After passing through the small Valais village, continue along the gravel path through the forest and between the avalanche barriers to reach Greich in around 30 minutes. Now follow the path down to Ried-Mörel. The next stage of the hike also takes about half an hour, and passes the impressive middle station of the Mörel-Riederalp cable car, crossing the Grosser Graben on a narrow but easily walkable path. Once you arrive in Ried-Mörel, you have two options. You can take the gondola down to Mörel-Filet and then the train to Betten valley station. Alternatively, you can take the cable car to Riederalp and walk to Bettmeralp via the Aletsch Promenade. Tip: You can transform this itinerary into a circular hike by starting the tour with the Bettmeralp – Betten Dorf culture discovery trail.
- 4,92 km
- 1 hour 45 minutes
- 195 m
- 227 m
- start: Betten, village
- destination: Ried-Mörel
Good to know
- Cultural Interesting
Betten-Dorf – Goppisberg – Greich – Ried-Mörel
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Feel like a break? “Heidis und Rosis Beiz” in Goppisberg is a bistro with a difference. It even has its own bowling alley that you can use for free.
Take Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Betten Dorf (village).
Large pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
By train from Brig or Oberwald to Betten valley station. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Betten Dorf (village).
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher
Aletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58