From Mörel-Filet, take the gondola up to the middle station in Ried-Mörel. Follow the path along the Grosser Graben. Cross the gorge once you’re level with Greich, which is on the other side of the Grosser Graben. The path is narrow but easily walkable. From Greich, continue past the striking middle station of the Mörel-Riederalp cable car in the direction of Goppisberg. The path runs above the road, then between avalanche barriers and through a forest until it rejoins the road just before Goppisberg. Follow the road for around 100 metres, then take the gravel path that branches off right and continues down to Goppisberg. You then hike back to Mörel-Filet via Breiten.
- 6,80 km
- 2 hours 30 minutes
- 232 m
- 656 m
- start: Ried-Mörel, cable car middle station in Ried-Mörel
- destination: Mörel, valley station of the gondola cableway
Good to know
- Stop at an Inn
- Loop Road
Ried-Mörel, cable car middle station in Ried-Mörel
Mörel, valley station of the gondola cableway
Ried-Mörel – Greich – Goppisberg – Breiten – Mörel-Filet
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Out and about with kids? The little ones can let off steam at the playgrounds in Ried-Mörel, Greich and Mörel-Filet.
Take Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Mörel-Filet exit, then follow signs for the parking facilities. Proceed on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG), which takes you up to Ried-Mörel.
- Limited parking spaces (charges apply) at Mörel-Filet station. Further parking options are signposted.
- Large pay multi-storey car parks at the entrance to Mörel-Filet and in the village centre.
By train from Brig or Oberwald to Mörel-Filet, then on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG). Take the cable car up to Ried-Mörel from there.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher