From the mountain station of the Bettmeralp cable car, set off east through the village until you reach the winter hiking trail leading up to Lake Bettmersee. After a brief climb, you can strap on your cross-country skis right beside the lake. The trail starts off alongside the frozen and snow-covered Bettmersee. While you do your laps on the two-kilometre trail, enjoy the magnificent views across the sunny plateau and the snow-covered 4000m peaks of the Valais mountains.
- 1,98 km
- 20 minutes
- 17 m
- 23 m
- start: Bettmersee, Bettmeralp
- destination: Bettmersee, Bettmeralp
Good to know
- Loop Road
Bettmeralp - Bettmersee
- The use of the trails is at your own risk.
- Use only marked trails and follow all markings and signs - for your own safety, for the protection of the landscape and in respect of wildlife.
- Be considerate towards other cross-country skiers.
- Every cross-country skier, especially on downhill runs, must adapt speed and behaviour to his ability and visibility.
- In classic running tracks and on the piste for free running technique, you run on the right side of the piste with an appropriate safety distance to the front runner.
- If you stop, you step out of the cross-country ski run.
- Weather conditions in the mountains can change very quickly and without warning. Appropriate clothing is very important.
- Good cross-country skiing material
- Weatherproof (waterproof and windproof) warm clothing and headgear
- Good sun protection, even in cloudy weather. UV rays at high altitudes can be very strong, especially in winter.
There is no charge for using the cross-country ski trail at Lake Bettmersee!
Take Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
Large pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
By train from Brig or Oberwald to Betten valley station. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.