Starting from the valley station of the Fiesch cable car, follow the Bregeraweg trail to the signpost for Bellwald. The path leads through wonderfully shady forests up towards the St Anna Chapel and on through the meadows to Bellwald, the highest point of the hike. By this point you’ve climbed around 600 metres. Cross through the village and take the path that leads gently downhill through a larch forest to Niederwald. Shortly after Niederwald, you’ll cross the young Rhone and continue on fairly level terrain down the other side of the valley to Mühlebach via Steinhaus. After a quick detour to the gallows where criminals were once hanged and a visit to the old mill, continue on to Ernen. From there, the final stage of the hike follows the old mule track through Ärnerfäld, down to the young Rhone and takes you back to Fiesch on the other side of the river.
Circular hike to and from Fiesch via Bellwald, Niederwald and Ernen
- 15,69 km
- 5 hours
- 613 m
- 1562 m
- 1007 m
- start: Fiesch, valley station of aerial cable car
- destination: Fiesch, valley station of aerial cable car Fiesch-Eggishorn
- Street (36%)
- Hiking Trail (64%)
Good to know
- Stop at an Inn
- Loop Road
Fiesch, valley station of aerial cable car
Fiesch, valley station of aerial cable car Fiesch-Eggishorn
Fiesch – Bellwald – Niederwald – Steinhaus – Mühlebach – Ernen – Fiesch
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
A must-see: Mühlebach is home to the oldest village centre in Switzerland consisting of wooden structures. Be sure to plan in enough time to tour the village!
Take Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Fiesch exit, then follow Furkastrasse to the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
Large pay car park at the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
By train from Brig or Oberwald to Fiesch, on foot to the starting point of the tour at the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher