Take the Gletscherbahn up to the Moosfluh view point, where the hike starts. Follow the path east to Biel, from where it’s just a short climb to Hohbalm. The trail across the north-facing slopes of Bettmerhorn and Eggishorn to Lake Märjelensee stays at roughly the same altitude. Views of the Great Aletsch Glacier accompany you all along this stretch of the route. The natural landscape formed by the eternal ice can also be clearly seen here. Once you reach Märjelensee, the path turns away from the glacier: the illuminated Tälligrat Tunnel (Obers Tälli) takes you back to the south side, where you walk west across the sunny plateau. From Fiescheralp you follow the Herrenweg trail to Bettmeralp, passing Lake Bettmersee. The Herrenweg then takes you via Gopplerlücke to the mountain station of Riederalp West. Please note: as this route involves a 20km hike, you’ll need to be in good physical shape!
- 23,90 km
- 6 hours 15 minutes
- 918 m
- 905 m
- start: Moosfluh, top station of aerial cable car
- destination: Riederalp west
Good to know
- Stop at an Inn
Moosfluh, top station of aerial cable car
Moosfluh – Biel – Hohbalm – Roti Chumme – Märjelensee – Tälligrattunnel – Fiescheralp – Herrenweg - Bettmeralp – Gopplerlücke - Riederalp
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Plan a break at the Gletscherstube! It’s a wonderful place to fortify yourself for the long return hike back over the sunny plateau.
Take Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Mörel-Filet exit, then follow signs for the parking facilities. Proceed on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG), which takes you up to Riederalp.
- Limited parking spaces (charges apply) at Mörel-Filet station. Further parking options are signposted.
- Large pay multi-storey car parks at the entrance to Mörel-Filet and in the village centre.
By train from Brig or Oberwald to Mörel-Filet, then on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG). Take the cable car up to Riederalp.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher
Aletsch Arena AG
+41 27 928 58 58