From Mörel-Filet station, make the brief climb to the main road and continue in a westerly direction to the Parking Aletsch. Follow the narrow path down to the Mörel power plant and cross the young Rhone. Make your way through the shady Lägundwald forest and up to Zen Achru. The path carries on along the Tunetschflüe via Erlis, climbing through meadows until you pass briefly through the forest and reach the alpine pastures of Tunetschalp. There are three cultural and themed trails here that make for interesting and educational tours: the Kapellenweg, the Nieschrundweg and the Kalkofenweg. An old sledge run, once used as a quick transport route, leads steeply downhill back into the valley and the neighbourhood of Filet. From there, it’s just a few minutes’ walk back to Mörel-Filet station.
Circular hike from Mörel-Filet to Tunetschalp and back
- 8,17 km
- 3 hours 30 minutes
- 647 m
- 1382 m
- 741 m
- start: Mörel, railway station
- destination: Mörel, railway station
- Street (19%)
- Asphalt Coating (6%)
- Hiking Trail (30%)
- Path (45%)
Good to know
- Loop Road
Mörel, railway station
Mörel, railway station
Mörel-Filet – Zen Achru – Erlis – Tunetschalp – Bawald - Filet – Mörel-Filet
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
The cultural and themed trails on Tunetschalp are interesting and educational. Plan a tour or two into your hiking route!
Take Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Mörel-Filet exit, then follow signs for the parking facilities.
- Limited parking spaces (charges apply) at Mörel-Filet station. Further parking options are signposted.
- Large pay multi-storey car parks at the entrance to Mörel-Filet and in the village centre.
By train from Brig or Oberwald to Mörel-Filet, on foot to the start of the tour.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher