The starting point of the hike is the Bettmerhorn view point, two minutes’ walk from the Bettmerhorn cable-car mountain station (2,647m). At first the route takes you gently downwards via “Uf de Setzu” towards Roti Chumma. The Great Aletsch Glacier is constantly in your sights on this section of the trail, and each step brings you closer. Following the path cut in the rock with stone steps, you head towards Märjela, Märjelensee and the “Gletscherstube” mountain hut. You return to the sunny plateau of the Aletsch Arena via Unneres Tälli or Oberes Tälli (or take a shortcut through the kilometre-long, illuminated Tälligrattunnel). Walk as far as Salzgäb and then follow the path downhill to Fiescheralp. The last section of this fantastic hike takes you back to Bettmeralp.
- 14,88 km
- 5 hours 30 minutes
- 2647 m
- 1924 m
- start: Bettmerhorn, top station of aerial cable car
- destination: Bettmeralp
Good to know
- Stop at an Inn
- Loop Road
Bettmerhorn, top station of aerial cable car
Bettmerhorn, top station of aerial cable car - Roti Chumma - Märjelensee - Obers Tälli - Fiescheralp - Bettmeralp
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- The trail leads through rocky territory, hence a steady footing is required.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Enjoy a break in the idyllically situated Gletscherstube to relive your impressions of the Great Aletsch Glacier!
Take Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Betten Valley Station exit. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
Large pay car park near the valley station of the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
By train from Brig or Oberwald to Betten valley station. Take the Bettmeralp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG) up to Bettmeralp.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher