From Fiesch, take the cable car up to Fiescheralp. Continue from there in a westerly direction along the level path via Laxeralp to the Bättmer Hitta restaurant. The route continues downhill from here: you’ll reach Bettmeralp after a few minutes’ walk, crossing through it until you arrive at the cable car mountain station on the western edge of the village. You’ll pass the Maria zum Schnee chapel and typical Valais chalets on the way. From the edge of the village, continue along the Aletsch Promenade towards Riederalp West. Once the beautiful mountain forest is behind you, you’ll find yourself on open terrain. For the rest of the hike, you’ll be able to enjoy the impressive panorama of the Mischabel group, the Matterhorn, the Weisshorn, down into the Rhone valley and on to Riederalp West. From Riederalp, take the cable car down to Mörel and the train back to Fiesch. Tip: The Bettmeralp – Riederalp route section is paved and lit at night. So it’s quite possible to hike it in the late evening.
Hike from Fiescheralp to Riederalp via Herrenweg and Aletschpromenade
- 7,94 km
- 2 hours 30 minutes
- 57 m
- 2218 m
- 1878 m
- start: Fiescheralp, top station of aerial cable car
- destination: Riederalp, top station of the gondola west
- Street (57%)
- Hiking Trail (43%)
Good to know
- Stop at an Inn
Fiescheralp, top station of aerial cable car
Riederalp, top station of the gondola west
Fiescheralp – Restaurant Bättmer-Hitta - Bettmeralp – Riederalp
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
The homemade cream slices in the Bättmer-Hitta are simply gorgeous. They’re a delicacy you must definitely try!
Take Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Fiesch exit, then follow Furkastrasse to the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG). Take the cable car up to Fiescheralp.
Large pay car park at the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG).
By train from Brig or Oberwald to Fiesch, then on foot to the valley station of the Fiesch-Eggishorn cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG). Take the cable car up to Fiescheralp.
Get a free panoramic map at the cable car stations and info centres of the Aletsch Arena.
SwissTopo maps 1:25’000: 1269 Aletschgletscher